Israel marks 43-year rule of Arab east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israel on Tuesday starts celebrating
the anniversary of what it calls Jerusalem`s unification, its
1967 conquest of the city`s Arab sector which has since become
a major hurdle in peace efforts.
The sunset-to-sunset Jerusalem Day celebrations kick off
with an open-air concert by US funk band Kool and the Gang and
feature a ceremony at Ammunition Hill, the site of one of
Israel`s fiercest battles with Jordanian forces.
Thousands of people, mostly nationalist-religious Jews
are expected to take part tomorrow in an annual march through
Jerusalem that concludes at the Old City`s Wailing Wall, one
of the most holiest sites in Judaism
Israel marks the event in accordance with the Hebrew
It captured Arab east Jerusalem on June 7, 1967, the
third day of the Six Day War and unilaterally annexed the
sector in a move not recognised by the international
The Palestinians are determined to make east Jerusalem,
which includes the walled Old City and its holy sites, the
capital of their promised state.
But in 1980 Israel passed a law declaring Jerusalem its
"eternal and indivisible" capital. Israeli human rights groups
claim though that the Holy City is sharply divided and that
Palestinian residents suffer from discrimination.
The status of Jerusalem, together with the continuation
of Israeli settlement activity in occupied Palestinian
territory, are among the thorniest issues in Middle East peace
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional