Israel marks 64th Independence Day
Jerusalem: Israel`s leaders marked their country`s 64th year of independence on Thursday with a ceremony in Jerusalem, singing classical Hebrew songs and honouring outstanding soldiers.
"Israel does not threaten its region, does not seek to rule another people, and does not wish ill for any other nation," President Shimon Peres said. "Israel, despite its strength, prefers bridges of peace over fences of hostility."
Israelis flocked to beaches and thronged parks for barbecues across the nation, filling the air with the scent of grilled meat and charcoal. Military bases were open to visitors for the holiday. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was scheduled to award the Israel Prize in the evening, a prestigious honour in the fields of entertainment and academia.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton congratulated Israel.
"For many around the world, Israel remains a beacon of hope and an inspiring example," she said on Wednesday in an official statement.
Government statistics showed that Israel`s population grew by 137,500 since last year to 7,881,000. The Central Bureau of Statistics said 75 percent of the population is Jewish, 21 percent is Arab, with the remainder belonging to tiny minorities or immigrants who are not Jewish.
Also, more than 500,000 Israeli citizens live as settlers in the West Bank and east Jerusalem, areas Palestinians claim for their future state.
While Independence Day is a joyful celebration in Israel, Palestinians will mark the creation of the Jewish state in mid-May with a day of mourning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'