`Israel may not carry unilateral attack on Iran`
Jerusalem: Emphasising Israel`s right to act independently to safeguard its security interests, the Jewish state in its first toned down message has expressed hopes that it may not have to unilaterally carry out a military attack against Iran to foil its nuclear ambitions due to an unprecedented concentration of US forces in the Persian Gulf.
Israel`s Defence Minister Ehud Barak hinted on Thursday evening that there may be no need for an Israeli strike on Iran shortly after meeting with Admiral James Winnefeld, the US vice-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who is visiting Israel.
"Israel retains its right to make sovereign decisions and the United States respects that," Barak said at his Atzmaut party gathering.
"However, one should not ignore the impressive preparations by the Americans to counter Iran on all fronts," he added in a mellowed down message after weeks of hard-hitting rhetoric responded in equal measure by Tehran.
Barak made the comments after he and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu were briefed by US Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta and National Security Advisor Tom Donilon regarding US preparations for a possible confrontation with Iran, daily Ha`aretz reported.
The Israeli Defence Minister said that while there are differences between the Israeli and American points of view on Iran, "the US is our most important ally.
The intelligence cooperation and security backing Israel receives at present is exceptional in its scope”.
"As opposed to the Bush administration, the Obama administration is indeed carrying out steps in the Gulf, transferring forces and preparing bases," a top Israeli official separately told Ha`aretz.
"There is an unprecedented US deployment opposite Iran," the source was quoted as saying echoing Barak`s sentiments.
Israel has dubbed Iran`s nuclear programme an existential threat, vowing from time to time to bomb the Islamic Republic`s nuclear installations.
Iran maintains that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org