Israel minister to post ads in European press against Abbas
Jerusalem: Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman will post ads in European newspapers as part of a campaign, showing Palestinian National Authority president Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal as war mongers, Xinhua reported.
The ad that portrays Abbas and Meshaal locked in an embrace, will be posted in 10 European papers in the coming weeks, Xinhua reported citing the Ynet News website.
Abbas is expected soon to meet the Hamas chief in Cairo to resume reconciliation talks.
However, Lieberman`s decision has been met with opposition from the ministry and the embassies of the countries where the ad is expected to be published.
"This is an initiative of the minister and we don`t deal with it," a spokeswoman at the foreign ministry told Xinhua, dismissing its involvement in the campaign.
Lieberman`s spokesman also refused to comment on the campaign.
Reports also said Lieberman has decided to ask Jewish organisations to post the ads using their names instead of the foreign ministry, in a bid to avoid controversy.
Both Lieberman and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have criticised Abbas` reconciliation attempts with Hamas, saying it would harm the peace process.
"To my regret, he (Abbas) strives for unity with the same Hamas that is supported by Iran," Netanyahu said.
"It`s interesting that Abbas has issued no condemnation of the remarks about the destruction of Israel," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing