Israel mulls buying S Korean fighter jets for training
Jerusalem: The Israeli Air Force is planning to purchase South Korea`s T-50 Golden Eagle fighter jets in a bid to replace its ageing Skyhawk fleet, the Ha`aretz daily reported on Sunday.
A three-member delegation of the Israeli Air Force is expected to visit Seoul next week to discuss the matter with their South Korean counterparts.
This is the first time in 40 years that Israel is considering to purchase fighter jets outside the US.
The report added that Israel is planning to purchase at least 30 jets to be used in the combat training exercises of trainee pilots.
The T-50, produced by Korean Airspace in collaboration with the US company Lockheed Martin, took its maiden flight in 2002. South Korean has been using this light jet for training purposes.
Israel is also considering two other jets for the purchase - the T-45, an American model of the British Hawk training aircraft, and the M-346, produced by the Italian firm Alenia Aermacchi. However, the South Korean jet appears to be in the lead, as its performance matches the F-16 fighter jets, the report said.
The Skyhawk first arrived in Israel in 1968, marking the induction of US-made jets into the Israeli Air force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- India Couture Week: Anita Dongre brings couture for 'bride on the go'
- Pakistan taking unpleasant interest in imposing upon India their vicious motives: Khurshid
- Soon, share all kinds of files on WhatsApp; get better authentication feature
- Plea seeks imposition of Governor's rule in J&K; SC to hear matter next week
- Asthma breakthrough? Scientists find novel way to prevent the disease!