Israel names `pro-Republican` hawk as new envoy to US
Jerusalem: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu named as Israel`s new ambassador to Washington on Tuesday a peace process hawk seen as close to President Barack Obama`s Republican opponents.
Ron Dermer, who already served a stint in Washington as economic attaché from 2005 to 2008, is on the record as voicing scepticism about the wisdom of a two-state solution to the Palestinian problem.
According to US diplomatic cables leaked to WikiLeaks, he is also convinced that Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas is not a partner for peace.
Announcing his appointment, Netanyahu said: "Ron Dermer has all the qualities necessary to successfully fill this important post.
"I have known him for many years and I know that Ron will faithfully represent the state of Israel in the capital of our greatest ally -- the USA," he added.
His appointment comes as Obama`s administration steps up its efforts to broker a relaunch of direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians after a three year gap.
US Secretary of State John Kerry has made five visits to the region since he took office earlier this year.
Dermer, 42, is married and the father of five children.
He is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business and holds a master`s degree in philosophy, politics and economics from Oxford.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming