Israel not opposed to Iran-US talks: PM
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israel does not object to diplomatic talks between the US and Iran.
"We do not oppose diplomatic negotiations with Iran," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting in Jerusalem.
"We insist that these negotiations lead to the dismantling of Iran`s enrichment capability. The main thing we are working to achieve is to prevent Iran`s enrichment capability," the prime minister added, according to a statement sent by the Governmental Press Office.
Netanyahu further said that while Iran claims it`s aiming to reach nuclear capabilities for peaceful purposes, there are countries achieving the same capabilities "without even one centrifuge" and without uranium enrichment.
“Whoever doesn`t want fissionable material and nuclear bomb doesn`t insist on enrichment... therefore Iran... must not be allowed to have enrichment capability. This is the most important point," Netanyahu said.
Netanyahu returned Friday from a visit to the US, in which he set out to "expose the truth," as he said prior to his trip, about the Iranians` overtures toward the US.
Netanyahu met US President Barack Obama and talked before the UN General Assembly Tuesday, warning the international community that Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is a "sheep in wolf`s clothing," trying to buy time with "smiles campaign" to carry on with Iran`s nuclear programme.
He also gave interviews to local and international TV news broadcasts, including one aimed for the Iranian people in the BBC in Farsi Thursday, in which he repeated his message.
Netanyahu`s hard line was slammed by Iranian President Rouhani, who said Wednesday Israel was "upset and angry" with the signs of new emerging relationship between Iran and the US.
Israeli members of the opposition in the parliament also criticized Netanyahu, maintaining that Israel should go with Obama and not "dwell alone".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow