Israel not to dig up Obama’s tree gift in search of hidden germs
Washington: Israel will not be uprooting the magnolia tree planted by President Barack Obama at the residence of Israeli President Shimon Peres.
Ynet had reported on Wednesday that Israel’s agricultural ministry ordered it to be dug up and tested for pests because the sapling had not passed agricultural inspection after Obama brought it to Israel aboard Air Force One.
According to Politico, in a statement, the Israeli Government said that the Office of the President and the Ministry of Agriculture will not uproot the magnolia tree given as a gift to Peres by Obama.
The statement added that the relevant authority in the Ministry of Agriculture will conduct all the necessary tests in accordance with the law within the garden of the President’s Residence without removing the tree from the place where it was planted, as was agreed, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video