Israel-NYC flight makes safe emergency landing
New York: A New York-bound Delta Air Lines flight from Israel declared an emergency and returned to Tel Aviv early today after flaps on the jumbo jet failed to retract properly on takeoff, the airline said.
Flight 469 a Boeing 747 with 370 passengers and 17 crew members aboard landed safely back at Ben Gurion Airport around 2:30 am (local time), about two hours after it left for John F Kennedy International Airport in New York.
Delta spokeswoman Jennifer Martin said the crew made the emergency landing "out of an abundance of caution."
The emergency landing came amid heightened sensitivity in Israel, as the military continues to exchange rocket fire with Palestinian militants. Martin said there was no indication the plane`s problem was related to the conflict or terrorism.
Warning sirens sounded Friday in Tel Aviv as militant rockets targeted the airport, but they were intercepted and there was no disturbance to Israel`s air traffic.
Hamas has said it intends to fire rockets at the airport and warned foreign airlines to stop flying to Israel.
Delta issued a travel advisory earlier this week labelled "Israel Unrest" saying it would continue operating flights on the New York-Tel Aviv route but that it would allow passengers booked while the conflict continues to cancel or change their tickets without penalty.
Radar images showed Flight 469 was in a holding pattern above the Mediterranean Sea, off the Israeli coast, for more than an hour to dump fuel before returning to Tel Aviv.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India