Israel okays extra Egypt troops in Sinai: Report
Jerusalem: Israel has agreed to let
Egypt deploy hundreds more troops in Sinai in order to protect
gas pipelines as the country undergoes sweeping political
unrest, an Israeli paper reported on Wednesday.
It was not immediately clear how many more troops
would be permitted into the Sinai Peninsula, where the number
of Egyptian forces are limited by the terms of the 1979
Israel-Egypt peace treaty, the top-selling Yediot Aharonot
The move, which comes just days after the overthrow
of autocratic Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, was rubber
stamped several days ago in response to a request from Cairo`s
new military regime.
Neither the defence ministry nor the prime
minister`s office would confirm the report, which said the
troops would be stationed in Sinai for a limited period of
time "until the situation on the ground calms down."
Israeli backing for the move comes 11 days after
saboteurs in northern Sinai attacked an Egyptian gas pipeline
to Jordan, forcing Cairo to switch off gas supplies to the
kingdom as well as to Israel, which is supplied via a twin
It was not clear who was behind the attack, although
media reports pointed the finger at armed Bedouin tribesmen,
who frequently clash with Egyptian security forces.
On January 31, just days after the uprising began,
Israel agreed to let Egypt move an extra 800 soldiers into
Sinai, most of whom were deployed around the Red Sea resort of
Since being forced out of office on February 11,
Mubarak has been holed up in the glitzy tourist town where his
family has a holiday home and where he often hosted foreign
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks