Israel OKs 277 new homes in West Bank settlement
Jerusalem: Israel`s defence minister has approved the building of 277 apartments in a West Bank settlement, defying US criticism of continued construction on lands the Palestinians claim for a state.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak authorised the construction in Ariel, the core of the settlement bloc deepest inside the West Bank. One hundred of the apartments will house Israelis evacuated in 2005 from a Gaza Strip settlement.
A spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had no immediate comment on Monday on the diplomatically charged move.
In recent weeks, Israel has also moved ahead on two other construction projects in east Jerusalem, the Palestinians` hoped-for capital. The US was critical of those plans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand