Israel OKs 277 new homes in West Bank settlement
Jerusalem: Israel`s defence minister has approved the building of 277 apartments in a West Bank settlement, defying US criticism of continued construction on lands the Palestinians claim for a state.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak authorised the construction in Ariel, the core of the settlement bloc deepest inside the West Bank. One hundred of the apartments will house Israelis evacuated in 2005 from a Gaza Strip settlement.
A spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had no immediate comment on Monday on the diplomatically charged move.
In recent weeks, Israel has also moved ahead on two other construction projects in east Jerusalem, the Palestinians` hoped-for capital. The US was critical of those plans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala