Israel OKs 277 new homes in West Bank settlement
Jerusalem: Israel`s defence minister has approved the building of 277 apartments in a West Bank settlement, defying US criticism of continued construction on lands the Palestinians claim for a state.
Defence Minister Ehud Barak authorised the construction in Ariel, the core of the settlement bloc deepest inside the West Bank. One hundred of the apartments will house Israelis evacuated in 2005 from a Gaza Strip settlement.
A spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had no immediate comment on Monday on the diplomatically charged move.
In recent weeks, Israel has also moved ahead on two other construction projects in east Jerusalem, the Palestinians` hoped-for capital. The US was critical of those plans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Lawless UP: Dalit couple hacked to death for Rs 15 in Mulayam Singh Yadav's bastion Mainpuri
- GST Bill: Efforts to hammer out consensus gathers momentum, likely to be tabled in Rajya Sabha next week
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD