Israel OKs harsh penalties for illegal migrants
Jerusalem: Israel`s Parliament has approved a bill that would make it possible to imprison illegal migrants for life over property crimes and detain them for up to three years without trial.
The harsh penalties are aimed at trying to stanch a flood of illegal immigration from Africa. Critics say the new law is unconstitutional and tramples human rights.
Anyone caught helping migrants could face prison terms of up to 15 years.
The government estimates 50,000 Africans have illegally entered Israel since 2006. It says most seek a more comfortable life and are not fleeing persecution.
The influx has touched off a national debate. Some Israelis say the migrants are a burden and dilute Israel`s Jewish character. Others say the Jewish state must be especially accommodating of people escaping persecution or conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead