Israel OKs harsh penalties for illegal migrants
Jerusalem: Israel`s Parliament has approved a bill that would make it possible to imprison illegal migrants for life over property crimes and detain them for up to three years without trial.
The harsh penalties are aimed at trying to stanch a flood of illegal immigration from Africa. Critics say the new law is unconstitutional and tramples human rights.
Anyone caught helping migrants could face prison terms of up to 15 years.
The government estimates 50,000 Africans have illegally entered Israel since 2006. It says most seek a more comfortable life and are not fleeing persecution.
The influx has touched off a national debate. Some Israelis say the migrants are a burden and dilute Israel`s Jewish character. Others say the Jewish state must be especially accommodating of people escaping persecution or conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack