Israel on alert for Syrian weapons
Moscow: Israel is concerned that the Lebanese Hezbollah movement will try to get hold of Syrian Army arsenal, including missiles and chemical weapons, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said on Thursday.
Barak toured the border with Syria and warned of the possibility that Hezbollah could try to move Syria`s chemical weapons into Lebanon.
"There are also people who came to Syria from outside - from Global Jihad and al Qaeda and other Islamists - meaning that as long as the fighting carries on we will have even greater chaos in Syria the day after Assad," Barak said.
Barak on Wednesday spoke with US Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta, telling him of Israeli concerns about the situation in Syria.
"We are also closely tracking the possibility that Hezbollah will try to move advanced military platforms or chemical weapons from Syria to Lebanon," he said.
Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah confirmed on Wednesday that Syria provided arms not only to Hezbollah, but to terrorist groups in Gaza as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees