Israel ‘open to US shuttle diplomacy’
Jerusalem: Israel`s Prime Minister says he is open to US-led indirect peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians, as long as they lead to direct negotiations.
The US’ Middle East envoy, George Mitchell, has said he is willing to mediate indirect talks to get negotiations back on track after a yearlong deadlock. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has already signalled he is open to the suggestion.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told leaders of American Jewish organisations on Wednesday he would be "fine" with a third party bringing the sides back to peace talks. But he says direct talks will eventually be needed to end the conflict.
The US has struggled to coax both sides back to negotiations, which broke down in late 2008 after Israel`s Gaza offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley