Israel ‘open to US shuttle diplomacy’
Jerusalem: Israel`s Prime Minister says he is open to US-led indirect peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians, as long as they lead to direct negotiations.
The US’ Middle East envoy, George Mitchell, has said he is willing to mediate indirect talks to get negotiations back on track after a yearlong deadlock. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has already signalled he is open to the suggestion.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told leaders of American Jewish organisations on Wednesday he would be "fine" with a third party bringing the sides back to peace talks. But he says direct talks will eventually be needed to end the conflict.
The US has struggled to coax both sides back to negotiations, which broke down in late 2008 after Israel`s Gaza offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets