Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu ready to bury differences with President-elect Rivlin
Zee Media Bureau
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met President-elect Reuven Rivlin on Wednesday and congratulated him on his victory in Tuesday’s Knesset vote.
Netanyahu, while embracing Rivlin, said that he would bury the past differences with the latter and the two would work together in the interest of the nation.
He further stressed on the similarities between Rivlin and him and said that both are Jerusalemites, sons of professors and fans of the same soccer team.
"We`ve gone through many things in life together and now we will put aside our differences and work for the sake of the State of Israel`s future," he said, as per The Jerusalem Post.
Reuven Rivlin, a far-right member of Israel`s ruling Likud party, was on Tuesday elected as the nation`s 10th President to replace Shimon Peres, ending the "dirtiest" campaign in the history of the Jewish nations` most respected public office.
Rivlin, 74, beat lawmaker Meir Sheetrit of Hatnua party in a second-round runoff. Rivlin secured 63 to Sheetrit`s 53 in the 120-member Knesset (the parliament).
The run up to the elections saw major aspirants face charges ranging from sexual misconduct to financial misappropriation leading to many analysts dubbing the elections "dirtiest" in Israel`s history.
Peres` successor was chosen after two months of fierce political campaigning.
90-year-old Peres, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994 for his role in the first Israeli-Palestinian peace accord, assumed office in 2007, after predecessor Moshe Katsav resigned to fight rape charges for which he was eventually convicted and jailed.
Rivlin will be sworn-in on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception