Israel PM to OK 100s of new settlements: Minister
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will soon authorise hundreds of new homes to be built in the occupied West Bank despite US calls for a settlement freeze, a senior minister said on Sunday.
"The Prime Minister will announce in the coming days the construction of several hundred additional homes and public buildings," Transport Minister Yisrael Katz, a close ally of the hawkish Premier, told public radio.
Netanyahu plans to authorise between 400 and 600 housing units, according to Israeli media.
On Friday, a senior official said Netanyahu would approve a burst of settlement building in the occupied Palestinian territory before considering a moratorium sought by the United States.
The announcement sparked widespread criticism from the international community and outrage from the Palestinians, who called it "unacceptable”.
Israel`s main ally Washington, which has for months been demanding that the Jewish state freeze all settlement activity in order to kick-start the stalled Middle East peace process, said it regretted the plans.
Jewish settlements in the West Bank and annexed east Jerusalem, home to some half a million Israelis, are among the thorniest issues of the decades-old Middle East conflict and one of the main obstacles to reaching a peace deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble