Israel police arrest 5 at protest against migrants
Jerusalem: Israeli police say they have arrested five people at a protest against African migrants in south Tel Aviv.
Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld says about 200 people gathered in an impoverished neighbourhood where many migrants live. Several Israelis pushed officers and caused other public disturbances, Rosenfeld said on Wednesday.
As many as 60,000 migrants from Africa have crossed Israel`s porous border with Egypt over the last several years.
Several recent rapes blamed on African migrants have kindled anger. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that an uncontrolled influx of migrants would destroy Israel`s Jewish character.
Many are simply looking for work, but rights groups say Israel is too slow in examining asylum requests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US President Barack Obama pays tribute to slain British MP Jo Cox
- Major blow for Samajwadi Party as its general secretary joins BJP with 200 colleagues
- Truck set on fire by angry villagers after they saw blood spilling out of it, found 30 cows dead
- Want to book DDA community halls? Now, you can do it in 15 minutes - Know how
- Five dead, 20 injured as truck collides with tanker in UP's Lucknow - Know what happened