Israel police arrest 5 at protest against migrants
Jerusalem: Israeli police say they have arrested five people at a protest against African migrants in south Tel Aviv.
Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld says about 200 people gathered in an impoverished neighbourhood where many migrants live. Several Israelis pushed officers and caused other public disturbances, Rosenfeld said on Wednesday.
As many as 60,000 migrants from Africa have crossed Israel`s porous border with Egypt over the last several years.
Several recent rapes blamed on African migrants have kindled anger. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that an uncontrolled influx of migrants would destroy Israel`s Jewish character.
Many are simply looking for work, but rights groups say Israel is too slow in examining asylum requests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das