Israel police arrest 5 at protest against migrants
Jerusalem: Israeli police say they have arrested five people at a protest against African migrants in south Tel Aviv.
Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld says about 200 people gathered in an impoverished neighbourhood where many migrants live. Several Israelis pushed officers and caused other public disturbances, Rosenfeld said on Wednesday.
As many as 60,000 migrants from Africa have crossed Israel`s porous border with Egypt over the last several years.
Several recent rapes blamed on African migrants have kindled anger. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that an uncontrolled influx of migrants would destroy Israel`s Jewish character.
Many are simply looking for work, but rights groups say Israel is too slow in examining asylum requests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi