Israel police arrest 5 at protest against migrants
Jerusalem: Israeli police say they have arrested five people at a protest against African migrants in south Tel Aviv.
Police spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld says about 200 people gathered in an impoverished neighbourhood where many migrants live. Several Israelis pushed officers and caused other public disturbances, Rosenfeld said on Wednesday.
As many as 60,000 migrants from Africa have crossed Israel`s porous border with Egypt over the last several years.
Several recent rapes blamed on African migrants have kindled anger. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that an uncontrolled influx of migrants would destroy Israel`s Jewish character.
Many are simply looking for work, but rights groups say Israel is too slow in examining asylum requests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal