Israel president warns of new Palestinian uprising
Jerusalem: Israel`s president has warned that the Palestinians are liable to launch a new uprising if the Jewish state doesn`t do more to try to reach a peace accord, stepping up his criticism of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ahead of January 22 elections.
The presidency in Israel is a ceremonial position and presidents generally refrain from political statements. But this was the second time in less than two weeks that President Shimon Peres` criticism of Netanyahu`s approach to the Palestinians has found an international platform.
"If there is no diplomatic decision, the Palestinians will go back to terror. Knives, mines, suicide attacks," Peres was quoted as saying in yesterday`s edition of the New York Times magazine.
"Even if the local inhabitants do not want to resume the violence, they will be under the pressure of the Arab world," he said, adding that most of the world is likely to support the Palestinians, not Israel.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has said that as long as he is in charge in the West Bank, he will not permit a repeat of the armed uprising against Israel that erupted in 2000 and triggered harsh Israeli retaliation.
However, Israeli-Palestinian talks have been frozen for four years, with Netanyahu and Abbas unable to agree on the terms for renewing them, and Abbas` self-rule government is mired in a deep financial crisis. Some fear that the general malaise could provide fertile ground for a new Palestinian revolt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick
- Nargis Fakhri looks smoking hot in this outfit with plunging neckline – See Pics