Israel raises preparedness on Syria front
Jerusalem: Israel was bolstering its defence systems today, the army said, ahead of a possible US attack on Syria that could spill across the Jewish state`s northern border.
"In light of the recent occurrences in the region, the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) is taking the necessary defensive measures to safeguard the state of Israel," military sources said.
Army radio reported the military was moving Iron Dome missile defence systems in the north, as well as one Patriot missile defence battery to the western Galilee.
The United States and its allies blame Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime for chemical weapons attacks near Damascus last week, in which hundreds are said to have died, and are mulling military strikes.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu today convened his eight-member security cabinet for consultations on the Syria situation, following which he said there was no room for alarm, while reiterating the military`s preparedness for any development.
"Following an evaluation of the security situation that took place today, there is no reason to change life`s routines," he said in a statement.
"These measures include both active and passive defence mechanisms".
"At the same time, we are preparing for any scenario," he continued. "The army is ready to provide defence from any threat, and set to react with force to any attempt to harm Israeli civilians."
Yesterday, Netanyahu had vowed a fierce reaction to "any attempt to hurt us" from Syria or its allies, in a possible reaction to a US attack.
Earlier today, army spokesman Brigadier General Yoav Mordechai also tried to play down tensions, stressing there was no room for alarm at this stage.
The military was constantly "examining, monitoring and following the developments" in and regarding Syria, he wrote on Facebook, but there was "no reason to change our daily routines."
Nevertheless, Israelis continued to rush to replace old gas masks, in case of possible Syrian retaliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'