Israel raises preparedness on Syria front
Jerusalem: Israel was bolstering its defence systems today, the army said, ahead of a possible US attack on Syria that could spill across the Jewish state`s northern border.
"In light of the recent occurrences in the region, the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) is taking the necessary defensive measures to safeguard the state of Israel," military sources said.
Army radio reported the military was moving Iron Dome missile defence systems in the north, as well as one Patriot missile defence battery to the western Galilee.
The United States and its allies blame Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime for chemical weapons attacks near Damascus last week, in which hundreds are said to have died, and are mulling military strikes.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu today convened his eight-member security cabinet for consultations on the Syria situation, following which he said there was no room for alarm, while reiterating the military`s preparedness for any development.
"Following an evaluation of the security situation that took place today, there is no reason to change life`s routines," he said in a statement.
"These measures include both active and passive defence mechanisms".
"At the same time, we are preparing for any scenario," he continued. "The army is ready to provide defence from any threat, and set to react with force to any attempt to harm Israeli civilians."
Yesterday, Netanyahu had vowed a fierce reaction to "any attempt to hurt us" from Syria or its allies, in a possible reaction to a US attack.
Earlier today, army spokesman Brigadier General Yoav Mordechai also tried to play down tensions, stressing there was no room for alarm at this stage.
The military was constantly "examining, monitoring and following the developments" in and regarding Syria, he wrote on Facebook, but there was "no reason to change our daily routines."
Nevertheless, Israelis continued to rush to replace old gas masks, in case of possible Syrian retaliation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Asian markets sink after US, Europe extend Brexit losses
- Philippines` Duterte looking to destroy `Imperial Manila`
- Monsoon special: Steal the show by going bold and beautiful with hairdos
- Brexit will put pressure on global growth: IMF deputy MD
- New survey lists out excuses Indians give to delay marriage – Check out