Israel re-arrests former hunger striker: Palestinians
Ramallah: The Israeli Army rearrested a Palestinian former prison hunger striker in the West Bank on Wednesday, nearly a year after his release, a Palestinian official said.
Thaer Halahla, 35, who was held without charge by Israel for almost two years until June 2012, was rearrested in Ramallah, an official in the Palestinian Authority`s ministry for prisoners` affairs told AFP.
Since his re-arrest, Halahla has been beaten by soldiers, "suffering injuries to his face and feet," a prisoners` rights group quoted his lawyer as saying.
An Israeli military court remanded him in custody for 12 days, the Prisoners Club said in a statement.
Halahla`s lawyer said he would appeal the court`s decision.
The Israeli Army confirmed Halahla`s arrest, but gave no further details.
Halahla was released on June 5 last year after a 76-day hunger strike in protest at Israeli prison conditions.
He was one of more than 1,500 prisoners who fasted for varying periods until May 14, 2012, when a deal with Israeli authorities for better conditions was struck.
Under what Israel calls "administrative detention," suspects can be imprisoned without trial by order of a military court. Such orders can be renewed indefinitely for up to six months at a time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH