Israel ready to react with `great force`: Netanyahu
Caesarea: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Friday that Israel is ready to act with "great force" against militant attacks, a day after Israelis launched retaliatory strikes in Gaza.
Israel had been "subjected to bouts of terror and rocket attacks”, Netanyahu said following a spate of rocket fire on southern Israel from Gaza and a bombing in Jerusalem that killed one and wounded more than 30 people.
"We stand ready to act with great force and great determination to put a stop to it," Netanyahu told reporters before a meeting with US Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
The Prime Minister said he had received a "very warm" phone call from US President Barack Obama on Thursday expressing his condolences over the latest attacks.
"Any civilised society will not tolerate such wanton attacks on its civilians," he said.
Gates, a former CIA director with years of experience in Washington, said US-Israel security ties were as strong as they had ever been at a time when the region is in "turmoil".
In Tel Aviv on Thursday, Gates said Washington firmly backed Israel`s right to respond to the both the rocket fire and the Jerusalem bombing, which he described as "repugnant acts”.
But he suggested Israel should tread carefully or risk derailing the course of popular unrest sweeping Arab and Muslim countries in the Middle East.
The US defence chief is pressing Israeli and Palestinian leaders to take "bold action" for peace despite soaring tensions, saying political upheaval in the region offered an opportunity.
After his talks with Netanyahu, Gates is due to head to the West Bank to meet Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad.
Several regional powers have already urged Israel to show restraint amid fears Netanyahu would order another ground invasion of Gaza
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!