Israel rearrests West Bank Hamas leader
Ramallah: Israel has rearrested a top leader of the Hamas movement in the West Bank, just weeks after releasing him from jail, the Israeli military and Hamas sources said on Thursday.
Hassan Yusef was detained on Wednesday night as he tried to cross a checkpoint between the West Bank cities of Ramallah and Nablus, a Hamas source said.
The Israeli military confirmed it had detained Yusef, who was released from prison in early August after serving a six-year term for "membership of a terrorist organisation”, but declined to give any additional details.
Yusef was freed on August 04 as part of a mass release of Israeli and Palestinian prisoners due to overcrowding. He had six weeks left of his sentence.
Last March, Yusef disowned his son after he admitted to having spied on Hamas for Israel and played a major role in the arrest of senior militants.
Mosab Hassan Yusef, 32, said he was a top informer for Israel`s Shin Bet internal security agency and was known by the codename "The Green Prince”.
He converted to Christianity 10 years ago and now lives in California.
He reportedly worked for the Shin Bet at the height of the second Palestinian intifada, or uprising, that began in 2000, when Hamas carried out dozens of suicide bombings and Israel waged all-out war on the Islamist movement.
Hamas has said the elder Yusef worked entirely in the public political wing of the movement. He was elected to the Palestinian Parliament in 2006, while in Israeli custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Subramanian Swamy at it again! Attacks Economic Affairs Secy Shaktikanta Das; Arun Jaitley calls it unfair
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe
- 4,500 people rescued in Mediterranean: Italy coastguard
- Vijender Singh out of Olympic contention, wishes best for Vikas Krishan