Israel rearrests West Bank Hamas leader
Ramallah: Israel has rearrested a top leader of the Hamas movement in the West Bank, just weeks after releasing him from jail, the Israeli military and Hamas sources said on Thursday.
Hassan Yusef was detained on Wednesday night as he tried to cross a checkpoint between the West Bank cities of Ramallah and Nablus, a Hamas source said.
The Israeli military confirmed it had detained Yusef, who was released from prison in early August after serving a six-year term for "membership of a terrorist organisation”, but declined to give any additional details.
Yusef was freed on August 04 as part of a mass release of Israeli and Palestinian prisoners due to overcrowding. He had six weeks left of his sentence.
Last March, Yusef disowned his son after he admitted to having spied on Hamas for Israel and played a major role in the arrest of senior militants.
Mosab Hassan Yusef, 32, said he was a top informer for Israel`s Shin Bet internal security agency and was known by the codename "The Green Prince”.
He converted to Christianity 10 years ago and now lives in California.
He reportedly worked for the Shin Bet at the height of the second Palestinian intifada, or uprising, that began in 2000, when Hamas carried out dozens of suicide bombings and Israel waged all-out war on the Islamist movement.
Hamas has said the elder Yusef worked entirely in the public political wing of the movement. He was elected to the Palestinian Parliament in 2006, while in Israeli custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof