Israel redeploys missile screen to Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv: Israel has redeployed its Iron Dome air-defence systems to protect Tel Aviv from Palestinian rocket fire.
The military and Israeli police have not found any firm evidence that Palestinian rockets have landed close to Israel`s commercial and business capital, but say such weapons may have landed in the sea nearby.
Air raid sirens have been sounded after explosions were heard in the last two days.
"A fifth Iron Dome batteries have been redeployed in the vicinity of the city. The other four are in the southern districts," a military source told RIA Novosti.
Rocket strikes have previously only threatened southern Israel in the last decade, where only a million people, or one-eighth of the population lives.
However, Palestinian militants claim to have fired rockets twice in the last two days close to Tel Aviv, which has not come under attack since the Gulf War in 1991 when Iraq fired on Israel with Scud missiles.
Another rocket fell Thursday close to Rishon Lezion, also in the central part of Israel. Remnants of a rocket were also found Friday near Jerusalem, which both Israelis and Palestinians consider their capital.
Neither rocket did any damage. The Israel army says 3.5 million of its citizens live within range of the fallen rockets.
The Iron Dome system is optimised for defence against short- and medium-range rocket systems like the Kassam, Grad and Fadzhr rockets mainly used by Lebanese and Palestinian militant groups in attacks on Israel.
Iron Dome has intercepted at least 200 incoming rockets since the latest fighting broke out Wednesday, while around another 400 have landed in Israel, the army says.
Iron Dome is an expensive system, costing thousands of dollars a shot, as against the hundreds required for the Palestinian`s Kassam, but its makers claim it can assess the trajectory of those rockets which present a real threat and ignore those which are not heading toward objects requiring protection.
The fifth Iron Dome was due to enter service in 2013, but was rushed into service from trials two months early to take part in the current operation, an IDF source told RIA Novosti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?