Israel restores transfer of blocked Palestinian funds
Jerusalem: Israel today said it would restore the monthly transfer of tax revenues it collects for the cash- strapped Palestinian Authority, days after US President Barack Obama prodded both sides to resume stalled peace process.
Israel decided to halt transfer of tax and tariff funds - about USD 100 million it collects each month on behalf of the Palestinian Authority - in December as a punishment after Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas successfully secured an upgraded UN membership for Palestinian statehood.
US had also advised him to give up on the bid. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "has decided to authorise the transfer of fiscal revenues to the Palestinian Authority," the Prime Minister`s office said in a statement, adding the new finance minister had already "charged officials with taking up the transfer of funds again."
Sources in the Palestinian Authority told PTI that the US President recently expressed his displeasure regarding the UN bid in talks with Abbas but had also agreed to push Israel to release the withheld funds.
US Secretary of State John Kerry who stayed back after Obama`s visit is said to have been following up with both sides on the issue.
In January, Netanyahu authorised a one-off release of USD 100 million in a gesture towards the Palestinian Authority given its "very difficult financial situation".
Palestinian Authority officials on conditions of anonymity said that their requests for financial aid from the Arab world has largely "fallen on deaf ears" and the administration may collapse if "there isn`t an urgent infusion of funds".
During a three-day visit to Israel and the occupied West Bank last week, the US President called on both sides to resume peace negotiations that have been stalled since 2010 over continued settlements that Israel builds in the occupied West Bank.
Palestinians seek to establish a state in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank with East Jerusalem as its capital -- territories captured by Israel in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley