Israel, Russia face common threats: Netanyahu
Moscow: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in Moscow on Thursday that Russia and Israel will face a common threat if "radical Islamist" states acquire nuclear weapons, Russian news agencies reported.
Netanyahu, whose government has urged Russia to increase pressure on Iran over its nuclear programme, spoke to Russian media bosses before talks with President Dmitry Medvedev.
"There is a now a big risk that radicalisation of Islamist regimes will begin in the Middle East," state-run Itar-Tass quoted Netanyahu as saying, according to a translation of his remarks into Russian.
"This risk is dangerous not only for Israel but (also) for Russia," Netanyahu said.
The Kremlin is fighting an uphill battle with Islamist insurgents in its mainly Muslim North Caucasus region, where rebels want to carve out a separate state with Sharia law.
A decade after separatists were driven out of power in the second of two wars in Chechnya, the North Caucasus are plagued by violence and analysts say the insurgency is gaining membership numbers and spreading in scope.
"But it will be much worse if radical Islamist regimes acquire nuclear weapons. Terror will be aimed against all. That is why the most important thing now is to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons," Netanyahu was quoted as saying.
Netanyahu said the international community must make clear to Iran that it will face military action if it continues to defy demands for proof it is not seeking to develop nuclear weapons, Itar-Tass reported.
Russia backed a fourth round of UN sanctions against Tehran over its nuclear programme last June but has emphasised its opposition to military action, saying the persistent standoff must be resolved instead through diplomacy.
Israel applauded Russia when it voted in favour of the sanctions and President Dmitry Medvedev subsequently said a longstanding deal to sell Iran high-precision S-300 missile systems was outlawed by the sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi