Israel says time for `firmer stand` on Iran
Jerusalem: Israel said it was time for world powers to adopt a "firmer stand" with Iran on its controversial nuclear programme after their latest round of negotiations closed on Sunday without any breakthrough.
"It is time for the world to take a firmer stand and tell the Iranians in no uncertain terms that the masquerade of negotiations is about to end," Strategic Affairs and Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz said.
"Israel has already warned that the Iranians are using the rounds of negotiations to win time to advance their uranium enrichment to the stage of acquiring a nuclear weapon," he said.
"Without a tangible and significant threat, together with a short, clear and definitive timetable, it will not be possible to dismantle the nuclear programme," the minister said.
Iran and world powers at talks in the Kazakh city of Almaty failed to break the deadlock in the crisis over Tehran`s nuclear drive, with EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton saying the positions were still "far apart".
Ashton represented the world powers -- comprised of the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany -- as chief negotiator at the negotiations on Friday and Saturday.
The clock is running down on diplomacy to solve the crisis, with Iran`s arch foe Israel refusing to rule out air strikes against the Islamic republic to halt its nuclear drive.
Iran denies charges is developing the atomic bomb and argues that it requires a nuclear programme solely for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video