Israel says time for `firmer stand` on Iran
Jerusalem: Israel said it was time for world powers to adopt a "firmer stand" with Iran on its controversial nuclear programme after their latest round of negotiations closed on Sunday without any breakthrough.
"It is time for the world to take a firmer stand and tell the Iranians in no uncertain terms that the masquerade of negotiations is about to end," Strategic Affairs and Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz said.
"Israel has already warned that the Iranians are using the rounds of negotiations to win time to advance their uranium enrichment to the stage of acquiring a nuclear weapon," he said.
"Without a tangible and significant threat, together with a short, clear and definitive timetable, it will not be possible to dismantle the nuclear programme," the minister said.
Iran and world powers at talks in the Kazakh city of Almaty failed to break the deadlock in the crisis over Tehran`s nuclear drive, with EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton saying the positions were still "far apart".
Ashton represented the world powers -- comprised of the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany -- as chief negotiator at the negotiations on Friday and Saturday.
The clock is running down on diplomacy to solve the crisis, with Iran`s arch foe Israel refusing to rule out air strikes against the Islamic republic to halt its nuclear drive.
Iran denies charges is developing the atomic bomb and argues that it requires a nuclear programme solely for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?