Israel settlers march against Palestinian UN bid
Beit El: A few hundred Israeli settlers were on Tuesday marching through the northern West Bank to protest against Palestinian plans to seek full membership of the United Nations.
One group of several dozen people marched from Beit El settlement near the city of Ramallah towards a military base, waving Israeli flags and singing, while around 150 people joined a march from the Itamar settlement to a nearby military outpost south of Nablus, correspondents said.
The Itamar marchers were escorted by a heavy military presence.
"This is our land, and there will never be a Palestinian state on the homeland of the Jewish people," said Michael Ben Ari, the ultra-nationalist member of parliament who led the Beit El march.
Earlier on Tuesday, a group of about 100 settlers entered the Palestinian village of Asira al-Qibiliya near Nablus and began attacking residents, witnesses said.
A correspondent said stones were being thrown by both sides and that some of the settlers were armed and had fired their weapons.
Shortly afterwards, Israeli troops and border police arrived and fired rubber bullets and tear gas to try and control the situation, the correspondent said, adding that several villagers were injured, including a Palestinian journalist who was beaten by settlers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- John Kerry calls for new measures to counter changing Islamic State
- Australia to return stolen Buddha statue to India
- Activists launch anti-Kim leaflets into North Korea
- Virtual Classrooms supplement nursing education in Bihar
- Katrina Kaif names her best friend and it’s NOT Salman Khan – Details inside