Israel settlers march against Palestinian UN bid
Beit El: A few hundred Israeli settlers were on Tuesday marching through the northern West Bank to protest against Palestinian plans to seek full membership of the United Nations.
One group of several dozen people marched from Beit El settlement near the city of Ramallah towards a military base, waving Israeli flags and singing, while around 150 people joined a march from the Itamar settlement to a nearby military outpost south of Nablus, correspondents said.
The Itamar marchers were escorted by a heavy military presence.
"This is our land, and there will never be a Palestinian state on the homeland of the Jewish people," said Michael Ben Ari, the ultra-nationalist member of parliament who led the Beit El march.
Earlier on Tuesday, a group of about 100 settlers entered the Palestinian village of Asira al-Qibiliya near Nablus and began attacking residents, witnesses said.
A correspondent said stones were being thrown by both sides and that some of the settlers were armed and had fired their weapons.
Shortly afterwards, Israeli troops and border police arrived and fired rubber bullets and tear gas to try and control the situation, the correspondent said, adding that several villagers were injured, including a Palestinian journalist who was beaten by settlers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory