Israel shuns Lithuanians over Holocaust probe
Jerusalem: Israel`s official Holocaust memorial has rescinded an invitation to Lithuanian officials to attend a memorial, to protest their country`s call to investigate a Holocaust survivor.
The decision follows a Lithuanian accusation against a prominent Holocaust survivor of slandering Lithuanians who collaborated with the Nazis, but are considered national heroes because they opposed the Russians.
Yad Vashem said Thursday it was surprised by the Lithuanian move. In response it decided to cancel the participation of Lithuanian officials in a ceremony next week commemorating the World War II destruction of Lithuanian Jewry.
Lithuania`s culture minister and its ambassador to Israel were slated to attend.
Yad Vashem said the memorial will take place with survivor organizations attending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!