Israel shuns Lithuanians over Holocaust probe
Jerusalem: Israel`s official Holocaust memorial has rescinded an invitation to Lithuanian officials to attend a memorial, to protest their country`s call to investigate a Holocaust survivor.
The decision follows a Lithuanian accusation against a prominent Holocaust survivor of slandering Lithuanians who collaborated with the Nazis, but are considered national heroes because they opposed the Russians.
Yad Vashem said Thursday it was surprised by the Lithuanian move. In response it decided to cancel the participation of Lithuanian officials in a ceremony next week commemorating the World War II destruction of Lithuanian Jewry.
Lithuania`s culture minister and its ambassador to Israel were slated to attend.
Yad Vashem said the memorial will take place with survivor organizations attending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead