Israel shuns Lithuanians over Holocaust probe
Jerusalem: Israel`s official Holocaust memorial has rescinded an invitation to Lithuanian officials to attend a memorial, to protest their country`s call to investigate a Holocaust survivor.
The decision follows a Lithuanian accusation against a prominent Holocaust survivor of slandering Lithuanians who collaborated with the Nazis, but are considered national heroes because they opposed the Russians.
Yad Vashem said Thursday it was surprised by the Lithuanian move. In response it decided to cancel the participation of Lithuanian officials in a ceremony next week commemorating the World War II destruction of Lithuanian Jewry.
Lithuania`s culture minister and its ambassador to Israel were slated to attend.
Yad Vashem said the memorial will take place with survivor organizations attending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!