Israel shuns Lithuanians over Holocaust probe
Jerusalem: Israel`s official Holocaust memorial has rescinded an invitation to Lithuanian officials to attend a memorial, to protest their country`s call to investigate a Holocaust survivor.
The decision follows a Lithuanian accusation against a prominent Holocaust survivor of slandering Lithuanians who collaborated with the Nazis, but are considered national heroes because they opposed the Russians.
Yad Vashem said Thursday it was surprised by the Lithuanian move. In response it decided to cancel the participation of Lithuanian officials in a ceremony next week commemorating the World War II destruction of Lithuanian Jewry.
Lithuania`s culture minister and its ambassador to Israel were slated to attend.
Yad Vashem said the memorial will take place with survivor organizations attending.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly