Israel shuns UN call for Gaza war probe
Jerusalem: A Cabinet minister says Israel won`t set up an independent panel to investigate the Gaza war as the UN urged.
The General Assembly called on Israel and "the Palestinian side" to conduct "independent, credible" investigations into last winter`s fighting in Gaza. It expected a decision by February 5.
Minister Yuli Edelstein said today that a document, which Israel will submit to the UN this week, deals only with Israel`s own investigations of the war.
Israel launched the offensive to quash Gaza rocket squads that had traumatised its southern communities.
The steep Palestinian civilian death toll and widespread destruction prompted a UN panel to accuse both Israel and Gaza`s Hamas rulers of war crimes. It urged them to conduct unbiased investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference