Israel shuns UN call for Gaza war probe
Jerusalem: A Cabinet minister says Israel won`t set up an independent panel to investigate the Gaza war as the UN urged.
The General Assembly called on Israel and "the Palestinian side" to conduct "independent, credible" investigations into last winter`s fighting in Gaza. It expected a decision by February 5.
Minister Yuli Edelstein said today that a document, which Israel will submit to the UN this week, deals only with Israel`s own investigations of the war.
Israel launched the offensive to quash Gaza rocket squads that had traumatised its southern communities.
The steep Palestinian civilian death toll and widespread destruction prompted a UN panel to accuse both Israel and Gaza`s Hamas rulers of war crimes. It urged them to conduct unbiased investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what