Israel slams S Africa over Palestinian territory label
Tel Aviv: Israel has condemned the South African government`s decision to label goods produced in the occupied Palestinian territories.
Under the new rules, the South African government has announced that goods of Jewish settlements in the West Bank can no longer be sold in the country under the label "Made in Israel".
The Israeli Foreign Ministry has summoned the South African ambassador for clarification in this regard.
The Israeli Foreign Ministry called the measure as discrimination based on national and political criteria provoking a boycott of Israeli products.
"Such exclusion and discrimination bring to mind ideas of a racist nature which the government of South Africa, more than any other, should have wholly rejected," the ministry said in a statement.
The South African government said that they have done this "in line with South Africa`s stance that recognises the 1948 borders delineated by the UN and does not recognise occupied territories beyond these borders as being part of the state of Israel”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra