Israel soldiers shoot Palestinian teen
Ramallah: The Israeli military shot dead a 17-year-old Palestinian near the West Bank separation barrier today, Palestinians said.
The Israeli military said he had breached the barrier, which separated soldiers from protesters.
A classmate said a group of students to throw rocks at soldiers near the barrier, a line of walls, trenches and fences Israel has built along and inside the West Bank. Muataz Awad said soldiers opened fire, killing Samir Awad from the village of Boudrous.
The military confirmed opening fire at protesters, saying some had cut through a section of the barrier fence. Military spokesman Capt. Eytan Buchman said troops "initiated standard rules of engagement, which included live fire." An investigation into the shooting has been ordered, and Buchman said he could not comment further on the open-fire order.
Also today, about 50 armed Palestinians shut the main road leading into the Balata refugee camp with burning tires to protest repeated attempts by Palestinian security forces to disarm them.
The gunmen have links to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas` Fatah movement, and their recent protests have drawn attention to growing discontent with Abbas` rule. Abbas governs the West Bank, while Hamas militants have a rival government in the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli military said yesterday that it discovered a tunnel Hamas militants burrowed from the Palestinian coastal territory of Gaza at least 100 metres deep into Israeli territory.
Military spokeswoman Lt Col Avital Leibovich said the tunnel was dug in the direction of two Israeli communities, and the assumption was that militants had hoped to use it to stage an attack on civilians.
No Gaza militant group has claimed responsibility for digging the tunnel. Leibovich said it was discovered in the course of a routine military patrol, but would offer no specifics.
The military has discovered other such tunnels in the past. Leibovich said it was not clear whether the tunnel was dug before or after Israel`s November offensive against Gaza militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015