Israel soldiers shoot Palestinian teen
Ramallah: The Israeli military shot dead a 17-year-old Palestinian near the West Bank separation barrier today, Palestinians said.
The Israeli military said he had breached the barrier, which separated soldiers from protesters.
A classmate said a group of students to throw rocks at soldiers near the barrier, a line of walls, trenches and fences Israel has built along and inside the West Bank. Muataz Awad said soldiers opened fire, killing Samir Awad from the village of Boudrous.
The military confirmed opening fire at protesters, saying some had cut through a section of the barrier fence. Military spokesman Capt. Eytan Buchman said troops "initiated standard rules of engagement, which included live fire." An investigation into the shooting has been ordered, and Buchman said he could not comment further on the open-fire order.
Also today, about 50 armed Palestinians shut the main road leading into the Balata refugee camp with burning tires to protest repeated attempts by Palestinian security forces to disarm them.
The gunmen have links to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas` Fatah movement, and their recent protests have drawn attention to growing discontent with Abbas` rule. Abbas governs the West Bank, while Hamas militants have a rival government in the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli military said yesterday that it discovered a tunnel Hamas militants burrowed from the Palestinian coastal territory of Gaza at least 100 metres deep into Israeli territory.
Military spokeswoman Lt Col Avital Leibovich said the tunnel was dug in the direction of two Israeli communities, and the assumption was that militants had hoped to use it to stage an attack on civilians.
No Gaza militant group has claimed responsibility for digging the tunnel. Leibovich said it was discovered in the course of a routine military patrol, but would offer no specifics.
The military has discovered other such tunnels in the past. Leibovich said it was not clear whether the tunnel was dug before or after Israel`s November offensive against Gaza militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Iraq forces retake key town south of Mosul
- Pak asks world community to play role to resolve Kashmir issue
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams goes click-click as US National Park Service celebrates centennial!
- Fire alarm forces AI to divert Mumbai-Newark flight
- Canada reaffirms support for India's NSG membership bid