Israel strikes Hamas targets after rocket fire
Jerusalem: Israel responded to Palestinian rocket fire with two air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Friday, officials said, ending a lull in violence since an informal ceasefire took effect earlier in the week.
Two rockets were fired from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip in the direction of the southern Israeli cities of Ashdod and Ashekelon. Neither caused any injuries or damage, an Israeli police spokesman said.
Israel responded hours later with two air strikes against Hamas targets in the coastal territory, Hamas and the Israeli military said. No one was injured in the strikes.
Violence flared last week after Hamas militants fired an anti-tank rocket across the border at an Israeli school bus, critically wounding an Israeli teenager. Israel retaliated with air and ground strikes, killing 19 Palestinians.
Militants in Gaza had fired at least 140 rockets at Israel during the four days of fighting, which had subsided since Egyptian and UN mediators achieved an informal truce on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’