Israel takes down anti-settlement tent camp
Jerusalem: A spokesman says Israeli police have taken down a West Bank tent camp pitched by Palestinians to protest Israeli plans to build a large Jewish settlement there.
The settlement near Jerusalem would have more than 3,400 apartments and drive a wedge between the eastern sector of the city and the West Bank, war-won territories the Palestinians want for their state.
Palestinian protesters pitched two dozen tents on the site marked for construction last week, but were dragged away by Israeli troops two days later.
Yesterday, Israel`s high court cancelled an injunction that had barred police from removing the tents, but said there would be further discussion on the protesters` right to be in the area.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said today that police removed the tents late yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi