Israel takes down anti-settlement tent camp
Jerusalem: A spokesman says Israeli police have taken down a West Bank tent camp pitched by Palestinians to protest Israeli plans to build a large Jewish settlement there.
The settlement near Jerusalem would have more than 3,400 apartments and drive a wedge between the eastern sector of the city and the West Bank, war-won territories the Palestinians want for their state.
Palestinian protesters pitched two dozen tents on the site marked for construction last week, but were dragged away by Israeli troops two days later.
Yesterday, Israel`s high court cancelled an injunction that had barred police from removing the tents, but said there would be further discussion on the protesters` right to be in the area.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said today that police removed the tents late yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO