Israel takes down anti-settlement tent camp
Jerusalem: A spokesman says Israeli police have taken down a West Bank tent camp pitched by Palestinians to protest Israeli plans to build a large Jewish settlement there.
The settlement near Jerusalem would have more than 3,400 apartments and drive a wedge between the eastern sector of the city and the West Bank, war-won territories the Palestinians want for their state.
Palestinian protesters pitched two dozen tents on the site marked for construction last week, but were dragged away by Israeli troops two days later.
Yesterday, Israel`s high court cancelled an injunction that had barred police from removing the tents, but said there would be further discussion on the protesters` right to be in the area.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said today that police removed the tents late yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway