Israel takes down anti-settlement tent camp
Jerusalem: A spokesman says Israeli police have taken down a West Bank tent camp pitched by Palestinians to protest Israeli plans to build a large Jewish settlement there.
The settlement near Jerusalem would have more than 3,400 apartments and drive a wedge between the eastern sector of the city and the West Bank, war-won territories the Palestinians want for their state.
Palestinian protesters pitched two dozen tents on the site marked for construction last week, but were dragged away by Israeli troops two days later.
Yesterday, Israel`s high court cancelled an injunction that had barred police from removing the tents, but said there would be further discussion on the protesters` right to be in the area.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said today that police removed the tents late yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!