Israel test fires missile that can hit Iran
Jerusalem: Israel test-fired a ballistic missile on Wednesday, Israel Radio said, amid a heightened public debate over the possibility of an Israeli attack against Iran`s nuclear program.
"Israel today carried out the test-firing of a rocket propulsion system from the Palmachim base (in central Israel)," a Defence Ministry statement said.
"This had been planned by the defence establishment a long time ago and has been carried out as scheduled."
A Defence Ministry official declined to comment on the type of rocket tested. But Israel Radio`s military affairs correspondent, who is regularly briefed by top officers on defence matters, said a ballistic missile was launched.
Israel, considered to be the Middle East`s only nuclear power, successfully test-fired a two-stage, long-range ballistic missile in 2008.
It is widely believed to have Jericho missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads, civilian "Shavit" rockets used to launch satellites and the Arrow missile interceptor.
The launch coincided with mounting speculation in Israel that its leaders could be preparing a military attack on Iran to curb a nuclear program they say is aimed at producing atomic weapons. Iran says its nuclear activities are peaceful.
The public debate was sparked at the weekend when a newspaper commentator suggested Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak may have decided, without seeking wider cabinet approval, to attack Iranian nuclear facilities.
In a policy speech opening Parliament`s winter session on Monday, Netanyahu again voiced his view that a nuclear Iran would pose a serious threat to Israel and to the world.
But he stopped short of making any direct threat of Israeli military action. Israel has said repeatedly that all options are on the table in trying to curb Iran`s nuclear ambitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir