Israel to attack Iran by Christmas?
London: Israel is preparing for a ground attack on Iran before Christmas, after conducting commando dry runs in the Iraq desert, a media report said.
Top military officials in Tel Aviv believe they have until the end of the year to strike at Iran`s nuclear programme, The Sun reported.
The main target would be a heavily fortified uranium enrichment plant at Fordo, near the holy city of Qom.
Israeli leaders have reportedly made it clear they are ready to launch military action alone - if the US does not help.
Late October or early November have been identified by intelligence analysts as a likely time because of the US elections Nov 6.
"We know the Israelis have been active in the Iraq desert, it would appear preparing forward bases for a ground assault. Bombing Iranian nuclear installations will most likely be a part of their plan, but the only way to confirm they have destroyed what they need to is to put boots on the ground," an unnamed British official was quoted as saying.
"It is a very big concern. Iran would have to retaliate, putting the region into an extremely dangerous situation," he said.
An "anonymous senior Israeli politician" -- believed to be Defence Minister Ehud Barak -- made it clear to The Sun that Israel had already decided to act alone.
"We can`t wait to find out one morning that we relied on the Americans but were fooled because the Americans didn`t act. Israel is strong and Israel is responsible, and will do what it has to do," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon