Israel to bar UN fact-finding team from entering
Jerusalem: Israel cut working relations with
the United Nations Human Rights Council Tuesday and will bar a UN team from entering Israel or the West Bank for a planned
investigation of Jewish settlements, the Foreign Ministry
Israel accuses the council of having a pronounced
anti-Israel bias because of what it says is its
disproportionate focus on Israeli policy toward the
Israeli leaders have been in an uproar over the council`s
adoption of a resolution last week condemning Jewish
settlement construction in the West Bank and east Jerusalem
and its decision to send a fact-finding mission to
Today, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman announced
Israel was severing working ties with the council.
"It means that we`re not going to work with them. We`re
not going to let them carry out any kind of mission for the
Human Rights Council, including this probe," said Foreign
Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor.
Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki said he was not
surprised by the Israeli move.
"Israel never cooperated with all fact finding missions
that were sent and established by the UN to investigate the
Israeli atrocities against the Palestinians," he said after
meeting his Danish counterpart in Copenhagen.
Much of the international community sees settlement
construction on occupied lands the Palestinians seek for a
future state as a major impediment to peacemaking, and has
pressured Israel to freeze it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins