Israel to build 14 settler homes in east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israel has approved the construction of a new Jewish enclave in the heart of a Palestinian neighbourhood of annexed east Jerusalem, state-owned Channel One TV reported on Wednesday.
It said 14-home project, to be named Maale David, was approved late on Wednesday by Jerusalem city council`s planning committee and was likely to spark fresh international condemnation of Israel`s settlements policy.
It is to be sited in the Arab neighbourhood of Ras al-Amud, near an existing Jewish settlement of 1,000 people, the report said.
"By this decision the committee is throwing oil on the flames... encouraging the settlers, their very explosive and problematic presence in this neighbourhood," Yudith Oppenheimer, of Israeli NGO Ir Amim which lobbies for co-existence in Jerusalem, told the channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?