Israel to build 14 settler homes in east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israel has approved the construction of a new Jewish enclave in the heart of a Palestinian neighbourhood of annexed east Jerusalem, state-owned Channel One TV reported on Wednesday.
It said 14-home project, to be named Maale David, was approved late on Wednesday by Jerusalem city council`s planning committee and was likely to spark fresh international condemnation of Israel`s settlements policy.
It is to be sited in the Arab neighbourhood of Ras al-Amud, near an existing Jewish settlement of 1,000 people, the report said.
"By this decision the committee is throwing oil on the flames... encouraging the settlers, their very explosive and problematic presence in this neighbourhood," Yudith Oppenheimer, of Israeli NGO Ir Amim which lobbies for co-existence in Jerusalem, told the channel.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Panic button issue: Ravi Shankar Prasad to discuss pricing concern with mobile phone makers
- PM Narendra Modi's wax statue unveiled at Madame Tussaud's Museum, London - Watch video
- UNBELIEVABLE: How this man uses his leg as bait to catch anaconda will shock you! - WATCH
- More trouble for Vijay Mallya as India seeks his deportation from UK
- Double blow for Rising Pune Supergiants: After Kevin Pietersen, Faf du Plessis out of IPL 2016