Israel to build 4,300 new flats in east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: A spokesman says Israel`s interior minister has given final authorisation to build 1,600 apartments in disputed east Jerusalem, and will approve 2,700 more in the next few days.
Ministry spokesman Roi Lachmanovich said on Thursday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s office knew the construction plans were moving ahead.
Israeli construction in east Jerusalem riles the Palestinians, who claim east Jerusalem as a future capital. It will also likely hurt Washington`s efforts to dissuade the Palestinians from seeking statehood at the United Nations next month.
The 1,600 apartments had caused a diplomatic rift between Israel and the US last year when they won an earlier approval from the ministry during a visit to Israel by US Vice President Joe Biden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional