Israel to build 4,300 new flats in east Jerusalem
Jerusalem: A spokesman says Israel`s interior minister has given final authorisation to build 1,600 apartments in disputed east Jerusalem, and will approve 2,700 more in the next few days.
Ministry spokesman Roi Lachmanovich said on Thursday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu`s office knew the construction plans were moving ahead.
Israeli construction in east Jerusalem riles the Palestinians, who claim east Jerusalem as a future capital. It will also likely hurt Washington`s efforts to dissuade the Palestinians from seeking statehood at the United Nations next month.
The 1,600 apartments had caused a diplomatic rift between Israel and the US last year when they won an earlier approval from the ministry during a visit to Israel by US Vice President Joe Biden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai