Israel to build barrier along Egypt border
Jerusalem: The Israeli government on Sunday approved the construction of a barrier along the border with Egypt in a bid to curb the infiltration of illegal immigrants, a government official said.
A government committee approved the construction of three barriers along the 250-kilometre desert frontier that would block the main infiltration routes, the official said.
The project, which was put forward by the military, was expected to cost between USD 1 billion and USD 1.5 billion, he said.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said during the meeting that the Jewish state would continue to allow entry for asylum seekers, most of whom come from Darfur.
"Israel will allow entry to refugees from areas of conflict, but will not allow its borders to be used to flood the country with illegal workers," a senior official quoted Netanyahu as saying during a cabinet meeting.
The Israel-Egypt border has become a major transit route for migrants, asylum seekers and drug smugglers, and Israel has asked Egypt to clamp down on the traffic.
Israel has struggled to put a lid on the influx of human traffic.
According to the Interior Ministry, some 300,000 illegal aliens -- including 100,000 migrants, tourists who overstayed their visit and Palestinians -- live in Israel which is home to seven million people.
But human rights groups say that these figures are inflated.
Egypt`s policy of shooting migrants has generated harsh criticism from human rights groups. The migrants say they try to leave Egypt because of poverty and racism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM