Israel to call 6500 reserve soldiers
Jerusalem, Dec 28: Israel will call 6,500 of its
reserve soldiers to duty, signalling a widening of the military
offensive against Hamas in the coastal Gaza Strip, where over
280 Palestinians have been killed in the last two days in the
largest operation since 1967.
"The Israel Defense Forces will, in the coming days, call
up more reservists," Cabinet secretary Oved Yehezkel told
reporters after ministers met for a special sessiontoday to
discuss "Operation Cast Lead" that was launched yesterday.
The proposal to mobilise 6,500 reservists initiated by
Defence Minister Ehud Barak was approved by the Cabinet today.
Security sources said that some reservists have already
been mobilised to help protect Israeli communes on the Gaza
border from Palestinian rocket and mortar shell attacks.
Meanwhile, hundreds of IDF infantry and armoured corps
troops headed for the Gaza border early today in preparation
for a possible ground invasion as Barak vowed to "expand and
deepen" the attacks on the Hamas-ruled territory.
"The Israeli Defence Forces will expand and deepen its
operations in Gaza as much as necessary," Defence Minister
Barak told reporters before the cabinet meeting.
Asked yesterday if Israel would follow up the
air strikes with a ground offensive, the Defence Minister had
said, "If boots on the ground will be needed, they will be
"Our intention is to totally change the rules of the
game," Barak said.
Israeli fighter planes continued to pound Gaza for a
second day today in the large scale operation in the
impoverished Palestinian enclave of 1.5 million people,
leaving over 280 dead and close to 800 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened