`Israel to deploy submarines with N-missiles in Persian Gulf`
Jerusalem: Israel is to deploy three
submarines equipped with nuclear cruise missiles in the
Persian Gulf, amid fears that ballistic missiles developed by
Iran could be used to hit strategic sites in the Jewish state,
a media report said.
The Sunday Times was quoted by local media as saying
that one of the submarines has been sent over Israeli fears
that ballistic missiles developed by Iran, and in the
possession of Syria and Hezbollah, could be used to hit
strategic sites in the Jewish state, including air bases and
Dolphin, Tekuma, and Leviathan, all submarines of the
7th navy Flotilla, have been reported to be frequenting the
Gulf in the past. However, according to the Sunday Times
report, this new deployment is meant to ensure a permanent
naval presence near the Iranian coastline.
A flotilla officer told the British newspaper that the
deployed submarines were meant to act as a deterrent, gather
intelligence and potentially to land Mossad agents in
"We`re a solid base for collecting sensitive
information, as we can stay for a long time in one place," the
The flotilla`s commander, identified only as Colonel
O, was quoted by the paper as saying that the submarine force
was "an underwater assault force".
We`re operating deep and far, very far, from our
borders," he reportedly said.
The submarines could be used if Iran continues with
its nuclear programme to produce a bomb.
"The 1,500 km range of the submarines cruise missiles
can reach any target in Iran," a navy officer told The Times.
Iranian officials reportedly reacted strongly vowing
"Anyone who wishes to do an evil act in the Persian
Gulf will receive a forceful response from us," an Iranian
Admiral told the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him