Israel to expel children of illegal immigrants
Jerusalem: Some 400 children of illegal immigrant workers face deportation under a new residency criterion approved by the Israeli cabinet on Sunday, Xinhua reported.
"The cabinet decided to allow most children of people working in Israel illegally, who meet the criteria established by the inter-ministerial committee on their status, to remain in Israel," a government statement said.
The Jerusalem Post said about 400 out of 1,200 children will be deported, the rest will be given permanent residency permits. The issue had been under discussion for a year.
Children studying in Israeli schools during the 2009-2010 academic year, residing in Israel for at least five consecutive years and speak Hebrew will not be deported.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at a weekly cabinet meeting said: "On the one hand, this problem is a humanitarian problem. We all feel and understand the hearts of children. But on the other hand, there are considerations to ensure the Jewish character of the State of Israel."
The decision drew criticism from the UN Children`s Fund (UNICEF).
"The government of Israel must adopt a humane policy towards immigration, and replace its illogical `revolving door` policy," it said in a statement, calling the decision "an infringement on the `Convention on the Rights of the Child`."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble