Israel to indict jailed Palestinian engineer
Jerusalem: A Palestinian engineer who vanished on a Ukrainian train and turned up in an Israeli prison will be indicted next week, his lawyer said on Thursday.
Lawyer Smadar Ben-Natan said Israeli authorities did not tell her what the charges would be.
Her client, Dirar Abu Sisi, is to be brought before an Israeli court later Thursday for an extension of his arrest. Ben-Natan said he would be indicted the day the extension expires.
Details of the mysterious case are hazy because of a near-complete Israeli gag order.
On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Abu Sisi belongs to Hamas, the violently anti-Israel group that rules Gaza. He said Abu Sisi relayed important information but did not elaborate.
Ben-Natan denies Abu Sisi is a Hamas loyalist and his Ukrainian wife alleges Israeli agents kidnapped him to sabotage a key power plant in Gaza where he worked. Fellow engineers and neighbours said he was a Hamas supporter, based on his senior position at the Hamas-controlled power plant.
Abu Sisi, 42, disappeared in the early hours of February 19 after boarding a train in the eastern city of Kharkiv bound for the Ukrainian capital, Kiev.
The Gaza-based Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, which sent a lawyer to visit Abu Sisi in jail, said he was dragged out of his sleeper car, hooded and handcuffed by Israeli agents and forced on a plane bound for Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?