Israel to step up Gaza offensive: Netanyahu
Jerusalem: Israel will step up the offensive in the Gaza Strip until rocket firing from there into Israel stops, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Wednesday in response to renewed Gaza rocket attacks against central and southern Israel earlier in the day.
"Our policy is simple, if they (Hamas) will shoot, they will be hit back seven-fold," Xinhua quoted Netanyahu as saying on TV.
Israel will use "all means" to "restore the quiet" across the country, he added. His remarks came just a day after the indirect Gaza truce talks in Cairo collapsed.
On the reported assassination attempt of Hamas` military wing leader Mohammad Deif, which Israel refused to confirm, Netanyahu said "the commanders of terror organisations are a legitimate target, no one is immune".
Israeli air strike on Deif`s home Wednesday killed his wife and daughter, and triggered a barrage of more than 100 rockets fired into Israel. No injury was reported.
Israel in return carried out numerous air strikes in Gaza Wednesday, in which Palestinian officials said at least 20 Palestinians have been killed since the cease-fire talks collapsed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video