`Israel to strike Lebanon if Hezbollah provokes`
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu conveyed a message to the Lebanese government, saying the latter would be held responsible for any future attack on Israel by the Hezbollah militant group, local media reported on Monday.
The message was passed along between the countries` leaders through a Western diplomat who met with Netanyahu in the past few weeks, according to a report published by the Ha`aretz daily newspaper.
This means that if Hezbollah fires rockets into Israeli territory or carries any other form of attack, Israel would retaliate and target not only Hezbollah, but also civilian facilities in Lebanon such as infrastructure, power plants, and air and sea ports, as well as government buildings.
"As far as we`re concerned, the Lebanese government is responsible for whatever happens in its jurisdiction," Netanyahu was quoted telling the diplomat by the Ha`aretz daily.
Also, Israel has made preparation for different combat scenarios on several fronts.
Israeli security officials have been outlining a possible scenario in which, following the collapse of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Hezbollah would try to transfer chemical weapons and missiles from Syria.
Both Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak took notice of this possibility recently, saying that Israel might attack convoys transferring such arms to Hezbollah.
Another possible scenario is that Hezbollah, a close ally of Iran, would launch rockets into central Israel as retaliation if Israel were to attack Iranian nuclear facilities.
"Israel constitutes only a limited amount of targets," Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said during a rally held earlier this month.
"Hitting these targets with a limited number of missiles would make the lives of hundreds of thousands of Zionists hell on earth. Tens of thousands would be killed," he said, adding that "if we are attacked, we won’t await anyone’s approval to react”.
Israel and the Hezbollah have fought each other during the 2006 Lebanon war. The conflict resulted in the deaths of over 1,300 Lebanese people and 165 Israelis and it had severely damaged Lebanon’s civil infrastructure.
Israeli diplomats have been trying, unsuccessfully so far, to get the EU to officially recognise Hezbollah as a terrorist group, as the United States did.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow