Israel, US finalize $10 bn arms deal
Jerusalem: US Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya`alon announced Monday that they reached an agreement over arms deal worth $10 billion, reported Xinhua.
Under the deal, Israel will buy various new weapons, including US missiles and advanced radar system for fighter planes.
Speaking at a joint press conference held at the military headquarters base in Tel Aviv, Hagel said the new military equipment would retain the Israeli Air Force`s edge over other countries in the region.
The recently appointed US secretary of defense arrived here on Sunday for a five-day visit in the region. Hagel is set to visit Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates during his regional tour.
Hagel told foreign reporters on the plane to Tel Aviv that the arms deal sends a "strong message to Iran".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened