Israel, US gear up for missile defence drill
Jerusalem: The Israeli military is gearing up together with US forces for a major missile defence exercise, the Israeli military announced on Thursday, as tension between Iran and the international community escalates.
The drill is called “Austere Challenge 12” and is designed to improve defence systems and cooperation between the US and Israeli forces. It follows a 10-day Iranian naval exercise near the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Israel’s military said the drill with the US was planned long ago and is not tied to recent events.
Both Israeli and US officials said the exercise would be the largest-ever joint drill by the two countries.
The Iranian war games came as the West was adopting new sanctions against Tehran over its nuclear program, charging it is making weapons. Iran insists its program is peaceful.
Israel considers Iran a strategic threat because of its nuclear and missile programs and support of violent groups in Lebanon and Gaza, as well as frequent references by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Israel’s destruction.
The Israeli military spokesman did not give a date for the drill on Thursday, but a senior military official said it would be in the next few weeks. He said it would be the biggest missile defence drill ever held. He was speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue.
The Israeli official said thousands of American and Israeli soldiers from different units would take part. He said the drill would test multiple Israeli and US air defence systems against incoming missiles and rockets. Israel has deployed the “Arrow” system, jointly developed and funded with the US, designed to intercept Iranian missiles in the stratosphere, far from Israel.
“The US European Command and the Israel Defence Forces periodically conduct routine exercises in Israel,” the Israeli military said in a statement.
“US European Command routinely works with partner nations to ensure their capacity to provide for their own security and, in the case of Israel, their qualitative military edge,” it said.
Thousands of US and Israeli troops held a similar exercise in 2009, code-named Juniper Cobra 10, designed to test missile defence technology.
Martin Van Creveld, a military historian at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, said on Thursday that the drill was intended not only to practice military manoeuvres but also to pressure Iran.
“Defending against an attack is not something that you improvise from today to tomorrow. It’s something you have to prepare, you have to rehearse, you have to prepare for,” Van Creveld said. “This, among other things, is an exercise to show Iran, the people in Tehran, that Israel and the United States are ready to counterattack,” he said.
US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta previewed the exercise in a speech last month, saying it would be an example of unprecedented levels of defence cooperation that the Obama administration has achieved “to back up our unshakable commitment to Israel’s security”.
Panetta said the drills will enhance the ability of the two military forces to operate together and test new ballistic missile and rocket defences. “Those new capabilities are themselves a product of this unprecedented defence cooperation.”
Andrew J Shapiro, assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs, said in a November speech that the upcoming exercise will be “by far the largest and the most significant exercise” involving the two nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues