Israel warns of new Gaza assault after air strikes
Jerusalem: Israel on Friday threatened a
widescale military operation against the Gaza Strip after a
string of air strikes which injured three Palestinian children
following rocket attacks from the enclave.
Israel`s deputy prime minister, Silvan Shalom, warned
that the military would soon launch a new offensive on the
Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip unless the rocket fire was halted.
"If this rocket fire against Israel does not stop, it
seems we will have to raise the level of our activity and step
up our actions against Hamas," Shalom told public radio.
"We won`t allow frightened children to again be raised in
bomb shelters and so, in the end, it will force us to launch
another military operation," said the deputy premier.
"I hope we can avoid it, but it is one of the options we
have, and if we don`t have a choice, we will use it in the
near future," he said.
Three Palestinian children -- aged two, four and 11 --
were hit by flying glass in one of Israel`s six overnight
raids, said Moawiya Hassanein, head of the Palestinian
emergency services in Gaza.
There were no other reports of casualties.
The head of the Islamist Hamas movement`s government in
the Gaza Strip, Ismail Haniya, reacted by blaming the Jewish
state for the increase in tensions.
"We call on the international community to intervene to
stop this escalation and Israeli aggression," Haniya said in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened