Israel ‘will act’ to stop Syria’s arms reaching Hezbollah
Jerusalem: Israel will ‘have to act’ if the Syrian regime falls and there is a risk that the country’s weapons and missiles fall into the hands of militant groups, the country’s prime minister has warned.
According to a news website, the deteriorating situation of President Bashar al-Assad’s regime is increasing fears in Israel that militants affiliated with Lebanon’s Hezbollah group, or the Al Qaeda terror network, could raid Syrian military arsenals for chemicals weapons or missiles after which they could strike Israel.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel has not considered specifically trying to cross the border to seize the weapons. However, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Israel would be prepared to attack Syrian weapons arsenals if needed.
Netanyahu said preventing Syria’s weapons from falling into the wrong hands was the solution to Israel’s security.
"Could you imagine Hezbollah, the people who are conducting with Iran all these terror attacks around the world - could you imagine them having chemical weapons? It would be like al Qaida having chemical weapons," he said.
"It’s something that is not acceptable to us, not acceptable to the United States and to any peaceable country in the world. So I think that this is something we`ll have to act to stop if the need arises.
And the need might arise if there’s a regime collapse, but not a regime change," he added. Netanyahu said he believed the fall of the regime was inevitable, but that it could take days, weeks or months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore