Israel ‘will act’ to stop Syria’s arms reaching Hezbollah
Jerusalem: Israel will ‘have to act’ if the Syrian regime falls and there is a risk that the country’s weapons and missiles fall into the hands of militant groups, the country’s prime minister has warned.
According to a news website, the deteriorating situation of President Bashar al-Assad’s regime is increasing fears in Israel that militants affiliated with Lebanon’s Hezbollah group, or the Al Qaeda terror network, could raid Syrian military arsenals for chemicals weapons or missiles after which they could strike Israel.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel has not considered specifically trying to cross the border to seize the weapons. However, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Israel would be prepared to attack Syrian weapons arsenals if needed.
Netanyahu said preventing Syria’s weapons from falling into the wrong hands was the solution to Israel’s security.
"Could you imagine Hezbollah, the people who are conducting with Iran all these terror attacks around the world - could you imagine them having chemical weapons? It would be like al Qaida having chemical weapons," he said.
"It’s something that is not acceptable to us, not acceptable to the United States and to any peaceable country in the world. So I think that this is something we`ll have to act to stop if the need arises.
And the need might arise if there’s a regime collapse, but not a regime change," he added. Netanyahu said he believed the fall of the regime was inevitable, but that it could take days, weeks or months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH