Israeli air force hits Gaza after mortar fire
Gaza City: The Israeli air force bombed three sites across the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, causing no casualties, Palestinian security officials and witnesses said.
The air raids hit targets in the southern city of Rafah, in the northern town of Jabaliya yesterday and also struck a site which had been previously been used for launching rockets in the Zeitun district, just east of Gaza City, they said.
The army had no immediate comment on the raids which took place hours after a mortar shell was fired into southern Israel.
Tensions have been rising along the Israel-Gaza border in recent months, with militants firing dozens of rockets and mortar rounds into southern Israel and the air force responding with strikes targeting training sites, weapons facilities and smuggling tunnels.
On Wednesday, Palestinian militants had fired seven projectiles, most of them mortar shells, across the border without causing any injuries or damage, the army said.
And overnight, Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians whom they said were trying to get across the border fence into Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror