Israeli air force hits Gaza after mortar fire
Gaza City: The Israeli air force bombed three sites across the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, causing no casualties, Palestinian security officials and witnesses said.
The air raids hit targets in the southern city of Rafah, in the northern town of Jabaliya yesterday and also struck a site which had been previously been used for launching rockets in the Zeitun district, just east of Gaza City, they said.
The army had no immediate comment on the raids which took place hours after a mortar shell was fired into southern Israel.
Tensions have been rising along the Israel-Gaza border in recent months, with militants firing dozens of rockets and mortar rounds into southern Israel and the air force responding with strikes targeting training sites, weapons facilities and smuggling tunnels.
On Wednesday, Palestinian militants had fired seven projectiles, most of them mortar shells, across the border without causing any injuries or damage, the army said.
And overnight, Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians whom they said were trying to get across the border fence into Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook