Israeli air force hits Gaza after mortar fire
Gaza City: The Israeli air force bombed three sites across the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, causing no casualties, Palestinian security officials and witnesses said.
The air raids hit targets in the southern city of Rafah, in the northern town of Jabaliya yesterday and also struck a site which had been previously been used for launching rockets in the Zeitun district, just east of Gaza City, they said.
The army had no immediate comment on the raids which took place hours after a mortar shell was fired into southern Israel.
Tensions have been rising along the Israel-Gaza border in recent months, with militants firing dozens of rockets and mortar rounds into southern Israel and the air force responding with strikes targeting training sites, weapons facilities and smuggling tunnels.
On Wednesday, Palestinian militants had fired seven projectiles, most of them mortar shells, across the border without causing any injuries or damage, the army said.
And overnight, Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinians whom they said were trying to get across the border fence into Israel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video